Monday, March 15, 2010

Reading on the metro...

I, and probably anyone else who has ever been on the Paris metro, have noticed that books have taken over Paris' underbelly. "Pocket" livres (books) are sold everywhere, from Monoprix (grocery store that I have just realized I've never blogged about... that will change soon) to Relay Newsstands that are inside the big metro stations. Without fail, at least one person on every ride will be reading one.

What I really think is interesting though about the whole phenomenon, is that it doesn't matter how entassé (packed, crammed) a train car is, there will be people reading away. The reader could be balancing on one leg while being smashed between someone's smelly armpit and the door, hidden from view--it wouldn't matter. All that you will still be able to see is a floating wrist, part of the hand, 3 fingers, a little paperback novel. It's certainly a skill.

So, today when on the second floor of Monoprix, I stumbled into the book section, and decided to get myself some metro reading material. I ended up getting the 2nd thing I picked up, the French version of one of the books in the Confessions of a Shopaholic series. It's definitely a guilty pleasure type read but hey--at least it's in French. I figure my attention span for reading will probably be pretty short while reading it, as I'll probably have plenty of distractions while getting from point A to point B (a justification for reading this that I'm telling myself). The author is Sophie Kinsella, and this installment is titled: L'accro du shopping: dit oui. Translated this means, "The Shopaholic: say yes."

I just realized that the first book of the series was made into a movie starring Isla Fisher, which was good in my opinion...I mean it was definitely not Oscar-worthy, but it was a no-thinking-required romantic comedy, which is many times my movie type of choice. Sometimes it's just nice not to analyze, but to just watch a movie for what it is.

I'll update later about how this reading-in-the-metro thing works out for me.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment